Life

Mum’s horror as toddler’s face scalded by BOILING water at nursery leaving him with severe burns

A mum has described her horror after her toddler son’s face was scalded by boiling water in a nursery accident, leaving him with severe burns.

Sarah Jane Walker, 29, says she was left “hysterical” after 18-month-old Reuben Adams was injured in the disaster in Fixby, West Yorkshire.

She says she rushed to Huddersfield Royal Infirmary from work after receiving a call from the nursery manager to say her little boy had been burned.

There, she burst into tears as she saw him, the Huddersfield Daily Examiner reports.

Sarah claims paramedics were told by nursery staff that her son had apparently opened the safety gate and gone into the kitchen area. There, he was reportedly somehow injured by a bowl of boiling water used to warm a feeding bottle.

However, the claims remain unconfirmed and the nursery has said it is co-operating with “Ofsted and all agencies” to investigate the situation.

Recalling the incident, Sarah said she couldn’t believe what she was hearing when the nursery manager told paramedics what had happened on Tuesday.

She said: “I was working in Huddersfield town center when I got a call from the nursery manager at 3.30pm. I was told he had been burned.

“I put the phone down and went as fast as I could to Huddersfield Royal Infirmary where an ambulance had taken him.

“I got there and Reuben’s key worker and nursery manager were there.

“He was in an awful state. I got hold of Reuben and took him out of the nursery nurse’s arms and they left.

“I was in hysterics. I was crying. I didn’t want him to see me so upset. He was given morphine and transferred to Pinderfields General Hospital. My mum was there.

“He has had some more morphine to clean the wounds. On Tuesday night he couldn’t sleep and I was with him all night.

“The doctors have been round and examined him. He will be in for a few days.”

Asked what the prognosis was, she added: “I have no idea. We are just taking it day by day. Ofsted, (who regulate nurseries), have been informed of the situation.”

The incident occurred at Bridge End House Nursery in Fixby.

Sarah, from Deighton, claimed she had not been contacted by nursery staff since the accident, but added: “I’m too upset to talk to them at the moment.”

“Reuben is my only baby and I’m mortified that this has happened in the care of a qualified Ofsted registered nursery that I researched before registering him,” she told the Examiner.

“I had put my trust in this nursery so I could go to work to give Reuben everything possible. Reuben will not be returning to the nursery ever again.”

Annette Dale, Sarah’s mother-in-law, from Skelmanthorpe, added: “Reuben has suffered burns to the left-hand side of his face, his left shoulder and behind his ear.

“Fortunately, his injuries are not life-threatening.

“He will be in the hospital for a few days as the doctors try to get the burns under control. He is gorgeous and very intelligent. We don’t know about cars yet.

“Sarah is very distraught and can’t believe this has happened.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

To Top