Sport

Liverpool owners Fenway Sports Group reportedly ‘turned down £1.5bn offer from consortium to buy club’

Liverpool owners Fenway Sports Group have reportedly turned down a £1.5billion offer to buy the club from a consortium led by Amanda Staveley.

Staveley and here PCP Capital Partners Group have been heavily linked with a takeover bid for Newcastle United in recent weeks. But this was only after FSG turned down a bid for the Reds.

Reports in Dubai say that they were involved in negotiations with FSG for more than a year, according to The National.

The report claims that the sale was called off at the eleventh hour, with FSG confident that they could seal a better price for the club in the club in the future given the rosy economic outlook for the Premier League.

Staveley, who was present at Newcastle and Liverpool’s 1-1 draw at St James’ Park earlier this month runs PCP Capital Partners, a fund with global assets of more than £28billion.

Earlier this month the Sunday Mirror Sport revealed that she had made initial soundings about the club’s availability.

Stavely, 44, was involved with Dubai investors in takeover attempts in 2007 which were ultimately aborted, and last year her firm made a joint offer for a share of the club with Chinese company Everbright Limited – but it was rejected by the Reds’ current owners, the Fenway Sports Group.

Read Also: Football’s new first lady edges closer to buying Newcastle United

 

She was also involved in Sheikh Mansour’s purchase of Manchester City in 2008, but FSG, who bought the club seven years ago for £300m, are looking for a major return on their investment and will only sell for the right price.

John Henry

John Henry

Since Staveley watched the Magpies and Reds play on October 1, Newcastle owner Mike Ashley has confirmed that his club is up for sale, with Staveley signing a non-disclosure agreement form and entering the process of due diligence ahead of a potential takeover.

However, Mike Ashley’s lawyer Andrew Henderson says that Staveley is not alone in the race to own Newcastle.

In a statement he said: “Since Monday, a number of additional parties have come forward which we believe to be credible.

“We are also continuing to engage with a number of parties with whom we had entered into negotiations prior to Monday’s announcement.”

The National say that PCP Capital Partners, Liverpool and FSG all declined to comment when contacted by them.

However later Liverpool chairman Tom Werner told the Liverpool Echo: “We have better things to do than batting down rumours about negotiations with Ms Staveley.

“However, there’s no truth to them.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

To Top